• First Shot: Crackdown 2   3 years 41 weeks ago

I think that the real failure of Crackdown 2 is that it in no way lives up to it's predecessor.

Gameplay-wise, everything that we loved from the first game is there. However, the story has been completely gutted. You run around the city activating power sources in order to activate bombs to kill mutants. You can also take out terrorist bases in a rather lame and repetitive manner (kill # enemies to capture this point). Aside from the races and a few mutant "beat em up" moments (all optional), that would appear to be it.

It's quite dissapointing really.

• Why the Zelda: Skyward Sword Reveal Was at Least a Tad Disappointing, in as Few Words as Possible, Ironically Unlike This Title   3 years 41 weeks ago

Ah Zelda. It was the first Legend of Zelda on the NES that convinced me that I wasn't just an awkward kid... I was an action hero! I also sometimes feel these games should be called LINK, for obvious reasons. Now to the point: I don't own a Wii but every time a new Metroid game is released I get antsy for one. Motion control just doesn't appeal to me all that much. I have tried my friends' Wii consoles and after a few minutes I just want to sit and use a regular controller. Don't get me wrong, I love being active but not in this fashion--suddenly I feel like an awkward kid and not an action hero!

Watching the E3 Demo for Zelda the Skyward Sword was a bit of a revelation for me. How many times do we want a different adventure in this exact same world? How many different versions of Death Mountain must we traverse before NINTENDO realizes that it's okay to send one of our favorite heroes (whom we get to live vicariously through) to a new world? The game looks like way too much more of the same. I think NINTENDO is definitely afraid of putting Link in a hyper-real world a la God of War, and maybe they're right to be weary of this, but give it the upgrade that Metroid received with Metroid Prime.

Maybe the trailer and demo didn't show us the best that the game has to offer. Maybe we're all just a bunch of idiots. Remember the Windwaker Skepticism? I loved that game, as I think most Zelda fans ultimately did. This new incarnation looks very much like the love-child of Windwaker and Twilight Princess (or even further back--Ocarina of time). Like I said, more of the same. Even the beloved Mario has been propelled to into the GALAXY--twice! Super Mario Sunshine may not have been the best of the franchise but it was challenging and at least they tried something different, a push that I think is sorely needed to allow Zelda to break out of the NINTENDO womb and start exploring the vast possibilities that such a fantastic concept deserves. I'm not saying put Link into space, but... it worked for Mario...

• Top 8 Video Game Innuendos   3 years 41 weeks ago

If you've ever played Burn Out:Revenge you would notice the super ghetto awesome way the game rewards you. Whenever you slam into a car you get "grinding" or "rubbing" during an instant reply. I think vertical/horizontal take down sort of speaks for itself.

I may not be explaining this well because it's been a while since I played Burn Out.

• Top 8 Video Game Innuendos   3 years 41 weeks ago

I liked the Wet and Metal Gear analyses. Wet is absolutely ridiculous with it's shameless pandering to little teeny boys. And Metal Gear, in general, is just ludicrous.

I couldn't quite follow you on Full Throttle and Burn Out, though. Those games don't seem to have any innate sexual innuendo.

• iGUGU Gamecore Review   3 years 41 weeks ago

I know, why they have a trackball! Nevertheless this device is great. I mean we can play and type at the same time. In this video which was taking at E3 you can see a full description about iGUGU

• Why the Zelda: Skyward Sword Reveal Was at Least a Tad Disappointing, in as Few Words as Possible, Ironically Unlike This Title   3 years 42 weeks ago

I actually think that Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda only because it seemed to be "about something". It felt like, in tying into Ocarina and Majora's Mask, Wind Waker was finally establishing a continuity and epic saga. But then Twilight Princess came along and just gave us more of the same "reboot" story and gameplay. Japanese audiences may love Final Fantasy and Zelda, where every game is a new universe and a reboot, but American audiences are becoming more and more accustomed to serial dramas. Metal Gear, as silly and stupid as it is, is at least trying to weave an epic tale. Zelda is stuck, by accident or design or both.

by 'evolved beyond' i meant beyond puzzle and gameplay orientation. motion plus seems like zelda is taking a cheap gimmicky route to promote the wii and other aspects of zelda that i treasure dearly will suffer. puzzles however, are a fundamental aspect that i absolutely never want to suffer- quite the contrary; i thought TP was too easy. i just don't want nintendo to adopt the attitude of 'oh, well zelda fans don't really care about story or graphics- they just want puzzles and wacky gameplay'. not... entirely true. i place great value in story and art style. i either would like to see zelda create a perfect game, which is legitimate art if done correctly (good writing, plot, graphics, music, gameplay, etc) OR if nintendo can't do that, have zelda port over to epic-poem style novels or big budget movies. i understand not everyone feels this way. i'm just a very ambitious fan.

like i said before, i foresee zelda's downfall with wii motion plus and if THAT'S what the future holds, zelda must evolve. i hope i cleared that up. thanks for replying.

• The Organic in Indie Games   3 years 42 weeks ago

I don't know, I thought that by not going out of it's way to be "different" is what makes Cave Story "different", at least by indie game standards. It seems that most indie games conform to a non-conformist norm. They try to be weird, edgy, unmarketable, and "deep" via heavy-handed metaphors and intentionally illogical design decisions.

Cave Story doesn't do any of that. Instead, it tries it's hardest to be a fun game. It's still an "art" game, but unlike most indie titles, it focuses just as much on the "art" of great game design as it does delivering a secret message and/or being different. And Cave Story most definitely is different, more than the writer of this post likely knows (yet).

As for the American Idol metaphor, it was great for communicating how the writer feels about the game, but it's not all that accurate in relating Cave Story to gaming's current mainstream scene. If Cave Story were a singer, I'd say it was like She and Him, Zooey Dechanel's (sp?) band. They work hard to craft songs in a style that is far from popular today, while subtly infusing their work with dark undertones and quiet messages.

American Idol, on the other hand, is like a lot of the stuff on XBLA and PSN; games made by small teams who clearly want to someday make the next Gears of War or Halo.

OK, I know, tl;dr. Peace out!

• E3: 3D Retrospective   3 years 42 weeks ago

You raise a very interesting concern regarding the focus issues inherent to artificial 3D.  I first noticed this annoyance while watching a 3D movie.  The filmmakers had to decide where the focus of the scene would be, and if you, the audience, wanted to check out the fore- or background instead of looking where the director wanted you to, you were out of luck.

This would seem to have the potential to be exponentially more annoying when encountered in video games, however, as you mention, the effect is mitigated by the player's ability to communicate where they are looking via their mouse or controller.  Even still, it seems like one could still run into trouble if one wanted to shoot in one direction while looking in another.  It wouldn't make a game unplayable, but could slow down hardcore players (who, notably, are likely the target market for this expensive cutting edge technology).

What I'd really like to see would be accurate retina tracking linked to a 3D system, so that no matter where I looked I would be treated to a perfectly focused 3D experience.  However, while powerful retina tracking systems do exist, I have not seen them utilized outside of academic pursuits.  In addition, it would be challenging, if not impossible, to track the sight lines of multiple console players, and, heck, the silly glasses would likely foil the tracking tech from the get go.

• Dissenting Opinion: Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers   3 years 42 weeks ago

As you predicted, being someone who didn't get around to playing much MTG, and who hasn't tapped a land in a good while, the game has proved to be a nice refreasher of strategy. I also find it to be a convenient opponent when I get a hanking for a round at 3am while waiting for WoW to put my PUG together.

• Preview: Minecraft   3 years 42 weeks ago

Wow - It's got a nice 8-bit Little Big Planet FPS feel to it, with a little bit of Dig Dug, Second Life, and D&D thrown in for good measure.  Looks quite promising.

• iGUGU Gamecore Review   3 years 42 weeks ago

Ugh, trackball!  Ridiculous.

"perhaps zelda has simply evolved beyond the gaming world and can only move us on a higher plateau i.e. books, cinema or pieces of art or music?"

Just wanted to point this line out. Books, movies and music are not "higher art" than games. They are exactly equal. More to the point, Zelda is better in game form than it ever could be in books, movies and music (especially music). To say that taking it to those other forms would "raise it to a higher plateau" is sort of displaying an inferiority complex with regards to gaming.

That said, I understand (and mostly agree) with your frustration and disappointment.

thank you. seriously, i don't know you but i want to be your friend. i have been skeptical, disappointed and frankly, opposed to this game since its revelation. i cannot believe it's receiving such blind support from the zelda community- it feels like i've been screaming in a vacuum. my zelda career has spanned almost 20 years and i know what works and what doesn't and i can firmly say that motion plus is the demise of zelda. given TP's mature step forward and the stunning artwork we received last e3, i was prepared for a vast, tolkien-esque, epic poem of a game- one that would capitalize on the franchise's history and lore, one that would give our hero a voice; to be a fully fleshed, empathetical human being to identify with, one to take us deeper into the darkness- one zelda to end all zeldas. alas, maybe that is just what i wished nintendo would do and at e3 2010, i was painfully dragged down to earth. the fruit of nintendo's five year efforts yielded a... well, a wii game. a stupid, simple, family-friendly wii game that is forsaking a greater destiny. i'm not interest in wii motion plus. i don't care about using the nunchuck to use the bow, and i don't give a good goddamn about 'pocket items'. the graphics are another gross problem- they keep the TP link- which is good- and remove the shading and detail and gave him baggy pants- which is bad. and the excuse for the art style is 'impressionism paintings' is endlessly enraging; now all zelda fans can be not disappointed and sleep better because "oh, i see, impressionist paintings! that makes sense!'' provides an excuse not to be let down. what a load of bullshit. no one even knew what impressionism was before e3. and lastly, the title is just simply awful. skyward sword? really? titles like 'ocarina of time', 'a link to the past' and 'twilight princess' are creative and poetic; i mean, I didn't know who or what the twilight princess was. skyward sword, after the gimmicky motion display, sounds like a bad sales pitch. please wake up, zelda fans, this offering is unacceptable and it's okay to say so.

i REALLY hope i'm overreacting and the game is better than i'm giving it credit for but as of now, i don't think that's the case. i feel betrayed and abandoned and i fear for zelda's future. it looks bleak. perhaps zelda has simply evolved beyond the gaming world and can only move us on a higher plateau i.e. books, cinema or pieces of art or music? food for thought. if anyone feels inclined to reply, i'll welcome it but PLEASE be courteous and constructive- comments like 'oh, you're just pissed cuz blah blah' or 'fuck you douche, nintendo doesn't owe you anything' are NOT helpful. i'm interested in the exchange of ideas, not irate arguments. thank you.

See I didn't know that (about the old controllers working). I had a N64 and Gamecube, exclusively, during those two generations solely because I found the controllers more workable.

But you are right, I'm not really sure Nintendo can appeal to me anymore. I just don't go ga-ga for Zelda and Mario. To me it's like seeing "The Dark Knight" and then trying to appreciate Tim Burton's "Batman". Sure there are lots of people than can do that (and even maintain that Burton's is better) but I'm not one of them. You can't go home again :/

Brian, the Wii actually has two "normal" controllers. You can use the Classic Controller, which is pretty much a Super Nintendo Controller, or you can plug in a Gamecube controller, which, in my opinion is one of the best controllers ever made. A Gamecube controller fits perfectly in my hands and while the buttons may look funny, they for whatever reason, work. The last thing Nintendo needs is ANOTHER control scheme.

Granted, not everybody who designs Wii games makes it work with the Gamecube or Classic controller, especially not Nintendo first-party games that always try to use the system to its fullest (and newest) potential.

As both a PS3 and Wii owner I have to say that even with the Playstation Move (which some people are calling the Wiimote-HD), comparing the two systems just doesn't work as they both produce wildly different games. If you need your shooters and your "hardcore" games (I really hate that term) then you have your PS3. If you want your Zelda and Mario games, which are almost guaranteed to be enjoyable, then you need a Wii. By your post however, it's possible that Nintendo's first-party titles aren't necessary for you.

Evan, I really enjoyed reading your post and it made me wonder about motion controls in Zelda games. I loved Twilight Princess but I didn't particularly enjoy using the Wiimote functionality; I tolerated it. If, however, the new Zelda actually feels close to 1:1 controls, then I may feel differently.

Also, I think the graphics look really great, as if they meshed Wind Waker and Twilight Princess into one style. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

• Shuffle Time 007   3 years 42 weeks ago

Still loving the quality of your art (even if I didn't quite get this joke). It looks like really well-done water color paintings.

The one thought that occurs to me when I think of a "good" game on the Wii is: "Oh no, I'm trapped." Meaning, if I like the game, but hate the motion controls used to play the game, I'm trapped between a rock and a hard place. I have to fight the controls, wrestle with them, just to play a game I like.

Ironically, if they had used the Zelda release to announce a NORMAL controller you could buy for the Wii, that would have been exciting. Put simply, a normal controller already worked better for Zelda than motion control ever could. Nintendo actually regressed their functionality. My girlfriend and I have been mulling over buying a Wii for over a year now, and after we both watched the Sony E3 conference, the choice is not crystal clear: if we want motion controls AND actual funtionality AND good games, the PS3 is no-brainer answer. Wii's stock in our minds is now completely torpedoed.

And now that you mention it, A Link to the Past was the last time Zelda was good, with a brief flash of quality with Wind Waker. Ocarina is overrated and Twighlight Princess is just Ocarina with better graphics, so it's VERY overrated, being wholly unoriginal. I think, on the whole, I've outgrown Zelda, and most other Nintendo franchises. Like when you stop watching the Disney channel (can you FEEL the condescension?!?!).

• Crispy TV: Coming Distractions: Kid Icarus: Uprising   3 years 42 weeks ago

Mike, I think this is your best Coming Distractions video yet. Funny stuff. That being said, I still want to get a 3DS and this game as well.

• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier   3 years 43 weeks ago

Awesome sauce. . .

• E3: Preview: Rage   3 years 43 weeks ago

I'm not even sure why post apocalyptic settings are so appealing.  Everything's destroyed, everything is brown and gray...even Fallout 3, an incredibly creative game, got drab after a while.

• Crazy Eddie's Steam Sale!   3 years 43 weeks ago

This is awesome.  Too bad I already own these games...

• E3: Preview: Rage   3 years 43 weeks ago

I would have to agree that it doesn't deserve Best in Show.  It's almost as if they wanted it to be best, came in hoping it would be best, and then decided not to let themselves down and call it best anyway.  But honestly, you can watch videos and see for yourself, it looks fun but unoriginal, and that's all I'm trying to get across.

• E3: Playstation 3: Looking Back and Forward   3 years 43 weeks ago

I actually had forgotten about The Last Guardian. That was a HUGE omission from Playstation's E3 conference.

• The Day No Work Was Done   3 years 43 weeks ago

It's funny you should mention that there must be "something" that's redeeming if so many people like something. I would say the things that people like in "mass appeal" items are the same things I don't like.

Apple, for example: They make things that I think look kind of...delicate? feminine? In any case, their aesthetic doesn't appeal to me. As for the support, I call it a parent holding a child's hand, making sure they don't take dangerous risks, but also making sure they have no actual choices in their lives.

So yes, mass appeal items do contain qualities that boost their sales and popularity. But those same qualities usually repel me.