• E3: Konami Conference is... interesting.   3 years 39 weeks ago

Well now I know what a flamingly gay Japanese man looks and sounds like.

But yeah, poor Konami. All of the conferences had bits of awkwardness but this one seemed to specialize in it, like awkward masters.

• Buying the Hype: Bulletstorm   3 years 39 weeks ago

The name of the game almost sounds like they're making fun of the genre, which will probably be the only thing I appreciate about this game.

• iGUGU Gamecore Review   3 years 39 weeks ago

I just reread the story and realized that my comment does not really make sense.

• iGUGU Gamecore Review   3 years 39 weeks ago

I saw a story about a paraplegic who was petitioning to have custom button mapping required for all consoles so that he could use his special face-controller thingy. Perhaps this adapter could contribute to a solution?

Evan

• iGUGU Gamecore Review   3 years 39 weeks ago

My god its HUGE!

Also, who the hell thinks "trackball" when thinking about gaming these days?

• Buying the Hype: Bulletstorm   3 years 39 weeks ago

I almost bought an Xbox360 because I loved Gears of War so much. I especially love the Horde mode in the second game.

When I wrote this blog entry I looked at Cliff Bleszinski's wikipedia page and actually forgot that he had worked on Unreal, one of my favorite shooters. Also, it seems that he was involved in publishing a little game called Tyrian, my favorite SHUMP.

And deathmatch show game? I can't think of the one you are referring too since you said it was recent, but it reminded me of that top-down NES shooter, Smash TV. I love that game.

• Buying the Hype: Bulletstorm   3 years 39 weeks ago

I actually didn't like Gears of War, but I love anything with the Unreal name on it.

Bulletstorm actually looks pretty interesting as it looks a bit more like Unreal than Gears. The fast paced, brutal combat is very characteristic of the series.

It actually reminds me a bit of a shooter that came out a few years ago. Your character got $$ for every kill and you spent it on better items. Not a new concept mind you, but the twist was that the game was some sort of deathmatch game show.

• EyeToy... Natal... Kinect: The "Future of Gaming"   3 years 39 weeks ago

I agree with everything here. I honestly think we will all look back at this period in gaming and collectively think "Wow, we had no fucking idea what kind of games we wanted to play". This whole era of the big 3 consoles grasping at straws, trying desperately to stay ahead of the curve is resulting in a giant brain fart.

• E3: Nintendo and Sony Live Blog   3 years 39 weeks ago

Well, That was fun. ^_^
    I like this concept.

• Corpse Run 007: The secret ingredient, kupo!   3 years 39 weeks ago

It's also lacking interesting ingredients. I'm sorry but having the big ingredient be spinach is a bit of a let down after the Japanese show did horse mane cartilage

• First Shot: 3D Dot Game Heroes   3 years 39 weeks ago

That's a really interesting looking game. I love the odd art style and it reminds me quite a bit of Minecraft.

• Corpse Run 007: The secret ingredient, kupo!   3 years 40 weeks ago

I wish this show were still being made. The American knock off is lacking the one thing the original had: authentic Japanese nonsense.

• Corpse Run 006 by Alex Di Stasi   3 years 40 weeks ago

Haha, well, reportedly we're getting TF2 today, so he can stop crying a little bit and be merely upset at the lack of L4D.  =P

• Shuffle Time 004 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 40 weeks ago

Hehehe....fanny pack...fuck yeah. Awesome.

• Corpse Run 006 by Alex Di Stasi   3 years 40 weeks ago

Instead of a crying Mac child, it should be a righteously defiant one instead ;)

• American Needle Pokes a Hole in the NFL Gaming Biz   3 years 40 weeks ago

Great article Alex. I think you're right that Madden will still be around forever, regardless of the American Needle decision. However, from a legal angle, I think a few of your assumptions about the impact of American Needle could be challenged.

First, NFLP likely can speak for teams in the league -- it just can't do so in an unreasonably non-competitive way under the Sherman Act. For instance, I think under the decision that NFLP can still issue licenses, it just can't grant exclusive licenses to one entity to the exclusion of all others. [Well, technically, it can -- it would just now be very likely to lose a suit challenging that activity.] I don't read anything in the opinion prohibiting NFLP from granting collective licenses to numerous video game companies, or apparel companies, etc.

Second, I don't think that individual team-licenses are the only option now. As above, I think, as Professor Marc Edelman has argued, that EA's exclusive agreement still remains in play, but that another party now could sue them after they are denied a license that they seek. (On the other hand, one could also probably challenge the activities of a video-game maker who monopolizes 32 exclusive licenses to the exclusion of all other video-game makers as unreasonably non-competitive under the Sherman Act.)

As Edelman argues: "After the American Needle case, a video game maker who has been excluded from the right to purchase the trademark of any individual NFL team by NFL Properties, or all the NFL teams overall, would step into similar shoes as American Needle. However, that does not mean that a company that is excluded from the video game market would have the immediate legal right to license these trademarks. Rather, much like American Needle, the Supreme Court’s recent ruling would merely allow them to sue for this right and get beyond the point of the case’s dismissal on single entity grounds, and to the point where the conduct could actually be reviewed on the merits to determine whether it’s more pro-competitive or anti-competitive." http://www.ripten.com/2010/05/28/sports-antitrust-law-professor-explains....

On a purely non-legal angle, this article made it clear that I obviously have not played Madden games in a long time. In the older Madden games, run blocking was totally irrelevant -- because you could just run around the entire defense easily with any RB with decent speed. The Detroit Lions were unstoppable in Madden '94 -- because they had Barry Sanders. As were the Bills (Thurman Thomas); Giants (Rodney Hampton); Cowboys (Emmit Smith); etc.

• You got anime in my Deus Ex   3 years 40 weeks ago

Great rundown. As always, it will come down to gameplay and story for me, but I agree that the anime themes are...disheartening.

• EA Sports Active (Wii)   3 years 40 weeks ago

People who play games for the predominant purpose of working out are not the same people who play games with more challenging, dynamic game play that happen to give you a bit of exercise. Games and players must focus on working out or playing well.

When I was younger I would play DDR for exercise. I played on work out mode where there are only 1/4 steps, and you can't fail. I wasn't actually too good at the game in "regular" mode and failed epically when it came to playing DDR in an actual arcade (but that is more because you have to step hard on the arcade steps while you need a very light step on home mats or else you'll complete tear them to shreds).

I think these fitness games are a complete stroke of genius from a commercial stand point. Weight loss is a huge industry and most people will try anything as long as it isn't eating healthy and hitting the gym a few times a week.

• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier   3 years 40 weeks ago

"No Mr. Robot that's fire, don't step on that!" That line gets me every time.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

As a girl gamer who 10 years ago was running around the web crying "GIRLS ARE GAMERS TOO", I feel like I have a bit of myself invested in this cause. I do agree that the entire Sims series is quite popular and I rather enjoyed playing SimCity and SimAnt at my local library growing up. But I was also into the Mario, Kirby, and Zelda market. I played Boogerman which I'm sure was not marketed toward girls. And I secretly played Doom when my mom wasn't looking . . . EEP!

Now I may not be the hardcore gamer that I once was with life eating up my video game time. Now I mostly play what I consider to be games marketed more toward girls (rhythm games and puzzle games and the occasional RPG).

But yeah, I do agree that Barbie or Mary-Kate and Ashley isn't a strong way to market to females. I have memories of working at GameStop and having a mom come in and ask me what games would be good for her 11 year old *girl*. She put an emphasis on girl for who knows what reason. I grasped and suggested something ridiculous. Then I thought, hey, let's see if this mom knows what her daughter plays? Turns out the girl is a platformer. Don't know why knowing that she was a girl would effect my suggestion.

Anyway, I think that the major games for girls (other than the flash games, and really who doesn't love playing defend the castle until you're so ridiculously overpowered that the game can autorun?) are the soap operas. You know what I'm talking about. The one game that immediately comes to mind is Final Fantasy 8. Talk about drama. Now, I happen to love Final Fantasy 8. I also happen to love games like Killer 7 (although I never finished it because something would always come up and I'd drop the game for a few weeks and by the time I got back to it I forgot the control system and had to relearn it all over again so I never managed to make it to the finish). I mean for real. We've all seen the pictures at the conventions. Most of the cosplay girls are Final Fantasy freaks. Sure you might find a Lara Croft somewhere in there, but I think you're going to find far more Rikkus.

But there are guys who like FFs and girls who like bloody beat-em-ups. I mean, nothing spells stress relief like jumping into a game of Dead Rising and mowing down a bunch of zombies. I don't think that we should try to appeal to men or women or boys or girls or the elderly. We should just hope that a good quality game comes out (because quite frankly, there can never be too many really GREAT games).

• First Shot: Alpha Protocol   3 years 41 weeks ago

Yeah the one thing I've never worried about with Obsidian is the writing. They even managed to steep me in the lore of Faerun (D&D setting), which is no small feat considering how bland and cliche that world is.

To me, Obsidian is almost like a writing team that moonlight as game developers. Gameplay has always been...adequate. Never quite stellar. And so far, Alpha Protocol is living up to that track record.

The good news is, for New Vegas, the gameplay and such is already established for them. They just need to add a few bells and whistles (which it seems like they are) and keep the writing strong (very likely) and NV will be great fun.

• First Shot: Alpha Protocol   3 years 41 weeks ago

True it is their first original IP as this company. That's a bit iffy of a statement though.

Obsidian Entertainment's only made: Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic 2, and Neverwinter Nights 2 (plus expansions) before now (and I liked NWN2 better than NWN1).
    However alot of the people involved in Obsidian came over or founded it after Black Isle Studio went down.
    Black Isle was responsible for: Fallout 1&2 (mostly this crew worked on 2), Icewind Dale, Planescape, and Baldur's Gate. While not their own IPs in many of these cases, these are the western RPGs we use as a benchmark for quality gaming. Not to mention Chris Jones who left Black Isle for a bit to work on Arcanum before returning.

So while Alpha Protocol is their baby through and through, I think the question isn't "can the pull it off?" but rather "so how well does the current team work togeather and how are their writers doing?"

Chris Avellone is one of the top designers for both Alpha Protocol and Fallout:New Vegas, so they both have it going for them there.
    What Alpha Protocol has going for it is that the other top designer is Chris Parker and he's got one hell of a list behind him.

Similarly, what has me slightly worried about Fallout:New Vegas is that the other top designer on the project is Josh Sawyer. His list of credits isn't as flashy and though he has NWN2 on it, the rest is mainly the Icewind Dale series (which was a bit like Baldur's Gate without the story) and those awful console Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games.

So things look good for Alpha Protocol.

• First Shot: Alpha Protocol   3 years 41 weeks ago

The interesting thing about this game is that it's the ONLY original IP for the company. This will probably be the truest "test" for Obsidian since they are beholden to no one and nothing in terms of narrative or setting rules, ala D&D or Star Wars. The sky is the limit for them in this one, so they will either sink or swim with it, developer credibility-wise.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 41 weeks ago

Hehehe well no offense to you Crystal, but I don't need a degree in feminism to make basic logical assessments. And appealing to your own "authority" (or my supposed lack thereof) is no way to prove any kind of point. I could just as easily say "I don't think you, Crystal, are quite old or experienced enough to know what you are talking about." Even if I think that's true, I'm not going to bring it up in a debate because it doesn't prove or disprove anything, other than that I don't have a substantive counter argument. So please, let's dispense with the feeble personal swipes and superiority attitudes. I'm debating the ideas you bring up, you should stick to doing the same. Don't make it personal.

That being said, I agree with you that game should not "aim" at any group. It's like saying "we need more games aimed at Hispanics". It's pretty preposterous when you think of it like that, not to mention degrading and pandering to the group in question. I say just make a fun game and let the chips fall where they may. If a game is good, it's good regardless of which gender prefers it.

• First Shot: Alpha Protocol   3 years 41 weeks ago

Obsidian has great roots and they keep getting better and better at making rpgs. To be honest the only reason why I'm keeping an eye on Alpha Protocol is because if it's good, that validate my pollyanna-esk hopes regarding Fallout: New Vegas. ^_^