• First Shot: Backbreaker   3 years 46 weeks ago

Glad to see a sports game is finally trying that euphoria physics engine. I question whether every tackle will be totally unique but when I saw the tech demo a while back I eagerly waited for it to be put to use in a video game. Good stuff.

Here's the tech demo:

• Review: Lost Planet 2   3 years 46 weeks ago

Chase, if what you say is true, all I can offer is this:

Thank God I did not play the original Lost Planet.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 46 weeks ago

Actually, if you look at the development of games over the last couple of decades, games went from being rather gender neutral to becoming much more gender specific. And competitiveness has less to do with gender as it does with the nature of the competition, evolutionarily speaking that is. In evolutionary psychology both sexes are in competition with their peers as far as survival and mate selection are concerned. Men naturally excel at certain tasks while women excel at others. Men are better at long distance navigation then women and women are better at short range, landmark based navigation then men. These relate to those skills needed to survive. Men would travel for days following prey while women would hunt and gather near the camp. So while men needed to be able to find their way home, women needed to be able to search and map out the terrain around their home. While these traits come though even today, they can often be overcome by sociological norms.

The problem with games not directly appealing to women (or not enough games doing so) lies more in the area of marketing. Games are aimed more towards male gamers because developers know that that's what works. It requires zero creativity and little risk. Look at the recent announcement from Capcom.
    They've decided that because sales for Bionic Commando and Dark Void sucked here in the states, they would no longer be trying out new franchises over here. They're blaming the changing nature of the gaming industry over here, rather then the fact that both of those games sold poorly because they were badly designed and written.

Then look at Japanese based game companies vs. western based game companies, and then look at the cultures. One culture realizes how broad and versatile video games are as a medium, while the other (us) still thinks of them as something kids play. On the other hand, one culture is heavily focused on women's rights; while the other is roughly 20 years behind the first in that regard (I'll let you guess which is which).

I'm also going to have to agree with Crystal on the female gamer thing. I've lived all over the place (though I will admit that I tend to befriend similar types of people) and I've known alot of female gamers. I don't know if the numbers are right and it's 60%, but its still a sizable portion. So why aren't there more female oriented games? Laziness. Game developers don't like risk. This is especially so, given the rising cost in production for mainstream games. However, casual games are cheaper and easier to make right? And they're growing if popularity. Well, if women are playing more casual games then maybe that's why they're selling so well. Perhaps this boom in casual gaming is female gamers making themselves heard.

As for the sex thing. Crystal's closer to being correct, but not quite. Turns out both men and women are pretty kinky. The difference is that each group thinks they're the kinkier one. It's all to do with men being more honest about sex when talking with men (because they're not having to worry about scaring off potential mates) and women doing the same thing.
    The idea that women are less sexual or kinky is based on the changes that occurred during the Victorian Era. Maid Marian became a bland, sexless princess waiting for Robin Hood to rescue her, and histories were actually changed to fit the morals of the time. Before that women were actually considered the kinkier and more sexual of the genders.

• Review: Monster Hunter Tri   3 years 46 weeks ago

...Oops, the tag under the pic of Tidus is supposed to say "I’ve got a thing for girls with SHORT hair." Thus insinuating that he looks more like a young Meg Ryan then an actual man, while at the same time using my heterosexuality as the but of a joke.

For other people's hateful comments on my heterosexual nature, here's the thread over at gamefaqs that was spawned by this article.

Enjoy.

• Review: Lost Planet 2   3 years 46 weeks ago

I recently got the chance to play a little of Lost Planet 2 and having played the first game I'm sorry to say that with all of it's flaws, this is actually an improvement on the first game.

The first game had you sloughing (slophing, sluushing...ok wading) though 2-3 feet of snow for most of the game and it FELT like you were wading through 2-3 feet of snow. Not a whole lot of fun that.

There was also this critically stupid bug where the button you hit to pick up a new weapon in a mech was the same button you used to get in and out of said mech. So if it wasn't lined up just right, instead of picking up that minigun, you'd propel yourself right out of the mech and into a boss's mandibles.

As for the big glowy, “Shoot Here” spots, I’m not surprised. It seems as though games are being made for dumber and dumber audiences every year.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 46 weeks ago

Well, your female friends are not the average then, I would say. Which is to be expected since you are young and based out of New York City.

Casual games are, indeed, what most women play. And while I don't think casual games are "worse" than hardcore games, they certainly are not the big money makers. To put it another way, we have yet to find the "Modern Warfare" for women. You could make the case that the Sims is that. But since you can't really draw many conclusions from that fact, the way forward is still pretty unclear. Much as men have spent an eternity trying to "figure women out", I predict so too will the game industry.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 46 weeks ago

If you are to believe many statistics, women are actually 60% of the game market, but do tend to play more "casual" games than men. Real "gamers" tend to insult casual games (and that is another issue) but they can be fun, original, and strategic, as well as very profitable for the companies who make them. You could easily call Tetris a casual game and it is (in most people's opinions) one of the greatest games of all time.

I think a lot of people have ideas on how to appeal to female gamers, as well as people outside the young adult to middle aged range. Most of these ideas are simply under-represented. And I'd also never argue against the point that the main steam in any industry lacks creativity and the desire to re-invent anything.

As far as sex goes, I have to disagree. I know more kinky ladies than fellows (though I suppose most guys wouldn't tell me about their kinks) and I am the kinkier one in my relationship.

• A Few Thoughts on a (Still Mostly) Untapped Market   3 years 46 weeks ago

Honestly, because "female gamers" is a relatively new phenomenon, I would say that the market is yet to be defined. Put another way, it's not about developers missing the boat, it's that the boat is still just a pile of wooden planks. Female gamers, by in large, aren't really their own identity yet. Their tastes aren't sophisticated and their experience isn't very deep. Most female gamers just end up playing whatever their boyfriends get them to play.

It's like sex. Sure there are some women that know what they like and will surprise you. But most just rely on the man to think up the kinky ideas and they are just along for the ride.

Now, this will change as time goes on (probably very quickly...in 5 years, who knows). But as of right now, I doubt anyone has a clear idea of "how to appeal to female gamers" in the future.

• Corpse Run 004 by Alex Di Stasi   3 years 46 weeks ago

I for one, hate that stupid Fox football robot. If I ever see that thing in a Madden game I will rage.

• Review: Split/Second (PS3)   3 years 46 weeks ago

11 tracks? Really? That's extremely disappointing.

• Shuffle Time 002 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 47 weeks ago

Girl in square 3- adorable
    guy in square 3- looks like Shaine Dawson

girl in square 1- sinister looking NOT cute

i like your art style thou :)

• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier   3 years 47 weeks ago

scopes still don't use mac- ha!

• Shuffle Time 002 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 47 weeks ago

Have to agree...it looks like you spend way more time on your art than most web comics. Great looking stuff!

• Blur Commercial: Hilarity & Hypocrisy   3 years 47 weeks ago

I think it all hinges on the execution...which is what I'm gathering you meant by "playing with fire". I think if done poorly, mocking the competition can come off as petty and desperate. If, on the other hand, the mocking is done skillfully and cleverly, it can really serve put things into perspective. Does the Blur ad succeed? It does with me, but it's entirely subjective.

The main goal of the ad was to say "Doesn't Mario Kart look like only preteens would play it? Why are you still playing that kiddie stuff when you could be playing an adult game?" That message either connects (as it did for me...though they were probably preaching to the choir) or it falls flat because you either reject the premise ("Mario Kart IS an adult game!") or you are insulted that the mocking even took place ("Hey I like Mario Kart! Screw you Blur!") It's a calculated risk, to be sure.

• Blur Commercial: Hilarity & Hypocrisy   3 years 47 weeks ago

Ah well, can't please them all.  Don't get me wrong, I thought the commercial was hilarious, but I consider mocking the competition to be playing with fire.

Commercials like this often turn me off to the product it advertises. If they need to attack to competition to be successful, what does that say about the game itself?  How come the merits of the product aren't strong enough to shine on their own?

• Blur Commercial: Hilarity & Hypocrisy   3 years 47 weeks ago

Personally, I love it when an ad has the balls to out another product for whatever reason. And I actually really dug this ad.

I don't think it was hypocritical in the slightest because it wasn't saying anything about the gameplay. It was talking about the tone. And tonally, Mario Kart is Fisher Price. That's not to say that Blur is better or worse. But it's certainly trying to be more adult. It also does a great job of showing you exactly what to expect. It says "Take the gameplay of Mario Kart and make it "cooler" because you are racing realistic looking cars in a city". The juxtaposition (and subsequent Mario Kart bashing) also effectively cuckolds the Nintendo product in very few lines.

I think I like this ad for all the reasons you don't like it. :)

• Shuffle Time 002 by Lizzy Dawson   3 years 47 weeks ago

Lizzy, your art work is absolutely stunning. Keep it up!

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2- Gameplay   3 years 47 weeks ago